Swollen feet, retaining fluid, tired. On hormone replacement therapy. What could be causing this?

hello, I am a 59 year old female, 5'6 and weigh 135 lbs. I am not on any medications really except a hormone replacement. Last Wed. after a busy day I had very swollen feet, I got on the scales and had gained 6 lbs in one day, so I know I was retaining fluid which I have never done.I am not the 6 lbs heavier still, but 2-3 lbs each day fluctuating from morning to night. I just had my yearly physical 2 months ago and all was well. I also have been alittle tired the last few days. My feet are still some swollen and get worse by the evening. What could be causing this? Putting them up above my heart for awhile seems to help also.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in sub-specialty of cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence.
You are absolutely right when you say that you are retaining fluid, there is hardly another way one can gain 3-4 lbs of weight in a day.
As you had swollen feet, I will postulate fluid moving from intra vascular compartment (that is from within the arteries and veins) to extra vascular compartment. Fluctuating from morning to evening suggests that whole day you are usually on your feet so a simple thing like venous insuffiencey (that only means your leg muscles which effectively pump leg blood through veins to the heart) have not remained so effective. This can happen with hormones even after someone has taken for few months or longer secondly, it can happen without any other cause coming on with age (At 59 they are not effective pumps as they were two decades ago). As you do not have any other symptoms to blame kidney or low level of proteins or drugs which cause such problem, I have no more explanation to offer.

If this ankle swelling is associated with pain or you continue to gain weight consistently I would then urge to see a doctor who can thoroughly do a complete physical and suggest a suitable test to reach a definitive diagnosis. Treatment thereafter is usually simple. If you have any further query please send a mail. I will be only too happy to answer that. Regards.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW