Swollen calf, venous Doppler, DVT. Diagnosis?

Over the past week or so I have noticed that my lef calf gets swollen after walking or standing on it for a few hours,however I am experiencing no pain or redness or numbing at all. When I am off my feet for an hour or so and in the morning my leg is back to normal.I had a venous doppler to Rule out DVT and it come back negative, however I had the test in the morning when my calf was not swollen. I have recently started excercising more than usual, using the treadmill. What is a possible diagnosis? My internist recommend I see an orthopedist. But I was wondering if it could be a Vascualr problem.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

It is quite common to have swollen legs after physical stress ( exercise, walking etc). The causes are many. Kidney diseases, liver disease, low protein level and as you mentioned minor vascular problems.

I would suggest you get your BP checked and renal function test, liver function test, serum albumin levels done. We will go to the next step after these reports. Till then do some leg elevation while sleeping (put a couple of pillows under your legs)

Do feel free to ask me further questions.