Swollen armpits, fluid-filled, not lymph nodes. What is the issue?

I recently visited an old girlfriend that I hadn't seen in 15 years....she was still as beautiful as ever even with the much heavier weight but I noticed that her armpits are grossly swolen like almost a small breast in each one. we didn't talk about it but I am a retired XXXXXXX Firefighter and EMT and I have never seen this symptom. They didn't seem like lymph nodes because they were fluid filled...I am concerned and I can't find any photos on the web of her symptoms...Can you help me identify what the issue is so I can get her treated .
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 57 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. I have great respect for Firefighters of the US so please accept my Greetings first. Coming back to your if go through causes of swelling in arm pits first and foremost to the least common are listed below:
1. Lymph nodes usually solid however with necrosis in them or if they get infected
2. Lymph nodes with fluid in these as you described. She might be under treatment.
3. Axillary artery aneurysm usually or almost invariably on one side. One syndrome
4. Osler Rendu Weber Syndrom can have multiple aneurysm so you can have bilateral
5. Ant bites and tattoos in the drainage area of armpit lymph nodes which means both arms.

These are the known causes. If you have any further query, I will be most happy to answer at the soonest.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW