Swollen ankle causing pain and burning sensation, been sore since weeks. Cause and remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have an ankle that I did not injure or sprain, that has been slightly swollen, achey, an now feeling a burning sensation...has lasted for 6 weeks....very sore ...can't put full weight on it
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From description it seems the problem might be the achilles tendonitis or arthritis. Tendonitis is the condition that arises when the tendon and the tissues that surround it, become inflamed and irritated. This is usually due to overuse , repetitive or prolonged activities placing strain on the tendon.
An MRI scan will help in the proper diagnosis.
Till then you can help the swelling and pain by taking following measures-
Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful leg.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression- you can tie a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
•Elevation- Keep the leg elevated on two pillows.
Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.
Do consult an orthopedician for proper examination and related tests.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.