Swollen and red toe nail bed after injury with smell coming out from the area. Shall i apply something or should visit GP?

My daughter trapped her big toe 2weeks ago under a door. It bent her toe nail back and scrapped a layer of skin around the nail area. The skin has since healed but the nail bed has receded and it looks slightly swollen and red, I have also noticed a slight smell coming from it,I think it's infected. Is there anything I can use on it or should I go straight to GP? It doesn't seem to be bothering her but I am concerned especially with it starting to smell. Please help.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The smell from the wound indicates that local infection has taken place.
You must visit your doctor and get the wound cleaned and dressed and get the antibiotics prescribed.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.