Switched from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin and taking valacyclovir, having muscle cramps in legs. Related?

How long has atorvastatin been on the market? I was switched from Simvastatin 80 mg. to 40 mg of Atorvastatin in February or March of this year. I have since been having severe muscle cramps in my legs. Could the change of drug and/or the change of strength caused these cramps?

Also, around the same time, I began taking Valacyclovir 100 mg., could that in any way interact with the Atorvastatin?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the drug therapy may be responsible.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Sir
1. Atorvastatin was approved in 1996.
2. Yes, the change of drug could have caused this. Although muscle weakness / cramps/ fatigue is a known side effect of all statins, it may be possible that one gets a side effect from one drug of same class and not from other. However since you started Valacyclovir at the same time, it may be the culprit drug as muscle cramps/ fatigue/ ache are also known to occur with it, although uncommonly.
3. Usually no drug interaction is expected between atorvastatin & valacyclovir.
4. I would advise you to discuss the issue with your GP. He will assess the whole clinical scenario, will get your CPK and CPK-MM levels (these enzyme levels are increased in cases of muscle damage ) done and will decide on withdrawal/ dose reduction of one the drugs you are taking.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh