Swelling, redness, soreness in big toe. No drainage. Nails seem to have stopped growing

I wore boots on and off for a couple weeks even though the top of the boot hurt by big toe. Now on each big toe, it is slightly swollen, a little red, a little sore, more on the right foot than the left. Nothing is draining from it. It seems as if the nail has stopped growing in each but does not look unhealthy.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I would request you to post a few more details to answer you question in a better way:
1) Is it painful if you press the nail?
2) Are you having any kind of medical illness like diabetes/hypertension.

I would be glad if you can upload a photograph of your toe.

Hope to hear from you soon

Dr. Srikanth Reddy. MD
Follow-up: Swelling, redness, soreness in big toe. No drainage. Nails seem to have stopped growing 16 hours later
Not when pressing the nail but pressing the top of the skin st the bae of the nail is sor. A little puss was visible this morning
No medical illnesses
Hello again,
Thanks for your followup information.
From the description that you have given, and especially regarding the presence of pus this morning, there is a possibility that tip of your toes are infected. It happens when there is a continuous pressure over them like it happened in your case.
Try to keep the area dry and do not wear the shoes again. You will need to take a course of antibiotics like amoxycillin or cefexime. These medications are available OTC in India, probably you need to check your country OTC list with the pharmacy.
Do visit a surgeon. He may do a magsulf dressing which will reduce the swelling.
If symptoms do not reduce in 3-5 days, then he may have to remove your nail for proper drainage of the pus. I am XXXXXXX it will not go upto this stage.
Do visit a surgeon when ever you can.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD