Swelling, pain, and bruise after slight injury. Taking folic acid, potassium and b vitamins daily

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have noticed more recently that even a slight bump can produce swelling and significant pain along with a bruise that can take a couple of weeks to resolve. For example, I dropped a glass dish and caught it with my leg and now have a huge purple painful and swollen bruise. I wouldn't think such a small thing would cause such damage but it does. I have a three year old and if she climbs on me, particularly my legs, it is so painful that I can't abide it. I am otherwise relatively healthy, 39 yo who is on no regular medication, taking folic acid daily, along with potassium and b vitamins in the morning, and valerian at night for sleep.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Development of large purple bruises on small bumps is suggestive of a bleeding disorder. You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.