Swelling on the neck, increasing in size. Diagnosed as lipoma. Non-surgical treatment?

ENT Specialist
hi im 50 yrs old, had a small swelling on right side of neck, gradually it got increased in size,im overweighed i feel it is lipoma, is there any option to treat it with out any operation. two years before it was diagnoised as lipoma.i feel fear to get operated, i had never gone for medical test,i think fat got deposited there and size gradually increased,please suggest me ?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

If the swelling in the neck has already been diagnosed as lipoma, I feel, not much investigation has to be done further with regard to this. As you already know that, lipoma is a soft fatty lump, which is benign (noncancerous) growth and made up of fat cells that clump together. Lipomas are not serious and does not cause any symptoms or problems.

I am sorry, lipoma cannot be managed medically. And, surgery is the only option if the swelling is causing pain or disfigurement. Surgery is usually done as an office procedure under local anesthesia and it is not going to be very painful.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Swelling on the neck, increasing in size. Diagnosed as lipoma. Non-surgical treatment? 9 hours later
Its gradually increasing in size,i feel fear to have operation as i think that some nerves may be there on neck and due to diabetes problem i feel that after operation the wound may not get cured soon, i heard that many times that with out operation there are procedures to cut that!!! recently i heard a news that appolo hospitals launched a 5 crore machine which is used to cut with out operations!i heard about liposuction also as an option?please suggest me

1.go for operation?
2.or any best qualitative healthy treatment or procedure to cure this?

some times im having chest pain and my doctors here informed that my heamoglobin percentage is low?so suggest me ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

First of all, let me assure you that there is no harm in getting the surgery done. The surgery will be performed only after ensuring that the blood sugar is normal. Secondly, as I had mentioned in my previous posts, there is no medical treatment for this condition and those who ever is assuring you that they can cure this without surgery, just ignore them.

Surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia and without any damage to the nerves or blood vessels because those structures lie XXXXXXX inside the neck. Infection also heals faster if the blood sugar is adequately controlled.

Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery, where in the fat is removed from different sites of the human body using a liposuction machine (something similar to vacuum suction). In case of lipoma, it is a collection of a fatty material inside a capsule, and hence, if the contents are sucked out, the chances of re-accumulation are more because of the intact wall.

I would suggest you, to relax first, discuss with your doctor and then plan for the excision.

Regarding your anemia, i.e. low Hemoglobin, It can be managed medically. Iron supplement over the period of 3-6 months, depending on the Hb level will help to cure anemia. If Hb is too low, Iron infusion can also be tried for faster recovery.

You can also consider Cardiac check up for chest pain, considering your age and Diabetic status.

I hope, I have answered your query. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Swelling on the neck, increasing in size. Diagnosed as lipoma. Non-surgical treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Doctor, . i live in visakhapatnam.kindly suggest us the best hospital for treatment in visakhapatnam., i dont look for the cost of treatment but i need qualitative and healthy treatment, kindly suggest the best hospital situated in and around visakhapatnam district or hyderabad.kindly suggest the name of doctor if possible.we are ready to bear all the expenses for the doctor if he is ready to fly down to visakhaptnam.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later

Welcome back

Please do not be very apprehensive about the surgical procedure. It is a 15-20 minute procedure and usually done under local anesthesia and it is a daycare surgery.

You can visit
Dr. XXXXXXX Simhadri, ENT Surgeon
SevenHills Hospital,
Rockdale Layout, Waltair Main Road,
Visakhapatnam - 530 002. Andhra Pradesh, India
Phone: +91-891-0000, 0000
Emergency: +91-891-0000

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.