Swelling on the chest part, not painful, little discomfort. Treatment and advise?

ENT Specialist
i have a swelling on the left side of my chest. Its not painful and though i havent noticed it, looks like it been there for a few months. there is a little discomfort. please advice.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later
Thanks for the query...

First of all, I would like to tell you that there can be certain reasons that may lead to swelling limited to left sided chest with discomfort.

A swelling present in left side of the chest i.e. a unilateral swelling without any associated pain directs that you might have strained you chest muscle.

You may not feel any pain when you strain your chest but gradually swelling along with some discomfort locally can appear.

On the other hand, there are two common conditions that can cause left sided chest discomfort and swelling -

- Influenza

- Viral Syndrome

But the above mentioned two conditions are associated with pain, fever, tenderness at local region but from your history it is clear that these two are ruled out in your case.

If you have strained your muscle then you can take a good muscle relaxant with pain killer and take rest for the same.

Also I would like to tell you that as certain swellings are not associated with pain so sometimes they are ignored, for that reason I want to suggest you that you must go to a surgeon for complete examination of the swelling.

I hope my answer will satisfy your query and i am here for future follow ups.