Swelling in lips, oozing, scabbing, later blister formation. No change in routine. Cause?

for the last 2 months my lips have been swelling to about 3 times their normal size . it always happens between 3 and 5 am .I can feel them getting bigger then they secrete a sticky clear liquid .this goes on for between 2 to 3 hours .then they start going back to normal but are very sore as they split and scab over and I can feel small blisters on my lip line and inside is also sore like blisters .it is really getting me down as I seem to recover then it starts again and my lips are constantly sore and dry .ive been to docs 3 times for this in the last 5 weeks and have had anti -histamines and cream but nothing helps .I don't think its an allergic reaction as I have not changed make up ,toothpaste or what I eat or drink .and also when it always starts very early in morning I have not eaten from about 8 -9 pm the previous night .HELP
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Two possibilities are there for your symptoms. These include:

1)     Angioedema
2)     Cheilitis especially cheilitis glandularis

Cheilitis is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. The standard treatment of angioedema is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics like Benadryl and Claritin relieve swelling and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness and hence should be taken under a medical guidance.

Suppurative cases of cheilitis glandularis require management with appropriate antimicrobial treatment as determined by culture and sensitivity testing. Also drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements ( vitamin B supplements) and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply XXXXXXX butter or Vaseline on your lips.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.