Swelling and pain in belly button, constipation, frequent urge for urination. Advice?

I have lower stomach pressure like I have to urinate. My belly button has some pain and looks like skin inside when I look into it. Almost like its swollen. I also have a little constipation and the pressure is sometimes a little painful.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you drink alcohol?
2.) Do you have Jaundice or dry skin with itching?
3.) Do you have weight loss?
4.) Do you have fatigue?

Your symptoms are related to the pressure build up inside your abdomen that could be due to the collection of fluid or gas. It could be due to some underlying pathology which has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Gastroenterologist so that he/she may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Ultrasound abdomen.
4.) Liver Biopsy (if any pathology is found in above tests)

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be able to provide more specific details if you provide answers to my questions.

Follow-up: Swelling and pain in belly button, constipation, frequent urge for urination. Advice? 21 minutes later
I have had blood work and an xray of my abdomen with all tests coming back normal. I do not drink I do have acid reflux Do not have jaundis, weight loss or fatigue. If anything I have weight gain
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Your symptoms are not related to acid reflux disease. It most probably seems like a Pelvic inflammatory disease ( PID ) which often presents as lower abdominal pain, also like a pressure while you pass urine.

I would suggest you to get an ultrasound of the Pelvis done to rule out any infection in the female Genito-urinary tract. One of the other causes for your symptoms being Endometriosis. It may also be Salpingitis.

For Acid reflux disease,

1.) Avoid smoking, if you do.
2.) Avoid spicy foods, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
3.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
4.) Eat and sleep on time and sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily.
5.) Do not lie down immediately after having your food.
6.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily, maintain a healthy weight.
7.) Avoid high calorie foods.

As I said earlier, get yourself examined by a Gastroenterolgist/ Gynecologist at the earliest.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.