Ask a Dentist   »  

Swelling after wisdom teeth removal. Getting tightness and pain when opening mouth. Concerned

Hello doctor.

I had all my wisdom teeth removed about five weeks ago and it went well with very little swelling and a pretty fast recovery. However, 5 weeks later, my lower right side still hurts a bit around area of removal if i open my mouth VERY in as wide as I can open my mouth. It feels a bit "tight" with some pain that is not major. As this only happens when i open my mouth as wide as possible, this causes me no problems and does not effect my life. I can eat, workout etc. fine and do not notice it unless im just straining my mouth.

However, I am just wondering if it is something I should be concerned about. What could it be? I'm assuming its nothing?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would be glad to answer your query.

I would like you to know that extraction or removal of wisdom teeth is a tedious dental procedure. It involves cutting of the soft tissues and the bone sometimes to aid in its removal.

Therefore healing sometimes can take upto 2 to 3 months also. You would be glad to know that it is not much of the concern. The scar tissue which forms after healing is constricted and causes a pull when you try to open your mouth wide. It will heal on its own, only thing you should take care of is re-infection. Kindly follow a proper oral hygiene regime.

If pain or swelling occurs then perform warm saline rinses (3-4 times/day).
I hope this answer was useful.

If you have any further queries feel free to write back to us.

I wish you good health,