Sweating excessively under arms, bad odour. Sweating and soreness reduced with change in washing powder. Suggest?

Hi, although not sweating excessively under my arms anymore, the smell is not normal to me, even just after bathing- it's not the normal body odour smell but not pleasant! Initial sweating and soreness was put down to a change in washing powder, but not 100 % that this was the cause, but since changing powder the excessive sweating and soreness reduced! I bought and been given numerous sprays none of which do anything what so ever to take away the odd smell! This has been going on for 3 months and at the end of my tether! Can you suggest anything to help. Cheers XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 5 hours later

I went through your complaints and can feel your concern. The under arms unpleasant odour medically referred to as bromhidrosis is usually due to bacterial breakdown of non-odoriferous compound to odoriferous compound. First please get checked whether you are suffering from diabetes mellitus or obesity or have you got any skin lesion in axilla.

Hereby I can suggest you to try following:

1) Conservative measures like washing the axillary vault properly, prompt removal of sweaty clothing, regular shaving of axillary hair (you may also opt for electrolysis), using antiseptic soaps and if they are not working then topical antibiotics like clindamycin or erythromycin and if sweating is more then topical aluminium chloride preparations.

2)Omission of certain foods like curry spices, garlic, onions and most importantly alcohol.
3)If these are not working then you may consult a dermatologist for Nd YAG laser therapy or botulinum toxin injection in axillary region.

4) Last option will be surgical treatment like liposuction curettage or shaving techniques to remove the sweat producing glands.

Hopefully I have answered your query.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Sweating excessively under arms, bad odour. Sweating and soreness reduced with change in washing powder. Suggest? 5 hours later
I have been tested for diabetes, that was not the case, I'm not obese in fact I'm very active, I play football , also my job is manual work! I've been to the dermatologist he gave me driclor which is good, but as soon as I sweat doing normal things such as football and work the smell is not normal! The dermatologist has told me about this machine that sends electric currents. He said to purchase it myself because nhs doesn't fund it! So I'm thinking if this machine stops me from sweating then no more awkward smells when working or playing football? Do u agree? If so where do u advise me to purchase this machine! Thanks very much XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 3 hours later
Thanks again for follow up,
Well, that machine only helps to decrease the amount of sweating. However, as you have mentioned you are not sweating a lot, I am afraid, how much that machine will help you. Again, that is a temporary measure. Well, why don’t you not ask your dermatologist to go for LASER treatment?

I am not aware of UK, so for machine, ask your dermatologist to get it available to you.

Best wishes