Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Swallowed ball of mercury from old thermometer. What will happen?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5228 Questions
I just used an old thermometer. Must have already been broken. Needless to say the ball of mercury went right down my throat? Anyone know what will happen if anything?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Well, I have a very good news for you. Mercury from thermometer is totally harmless when swallowed. It is not absorbed from intestines, so it will go out with stool.
So be careful next time and take care.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor