Ask a Urologist   »  

Swab test showed some infection. Prescribed zithromax. Chances of getting uti from oral sex?

Urologist
Question

My boyfriend had a UTI which went away on its own. A month later, he took a swab test and some non specific infection was found. He has been prescribed with Zithromax. He only told me about his UTI recently.

I did not have any UTI with my boyfriend. I did previously have UTI which I took antibiotics for. Since then, I've not had any cases of UTI.

My boyfriend thinks I am the main cause for his UTI because that was the only occasion I did oral sex on him.

Q1) Is it possible for me to give him UTI because of oral sex (unprotected)?
Q2) Am I the main cause of him getting UTI?

Thanks
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 29 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
Oral cavity contains many bacteria, most of them being anaerobes - that is those that can survive without the need for oxygen.
UTI is usually caused by bacteria of gram negative group which is a different group not belonging to the class of anaerobes.
SO, it is extremely unlikely that you are and oral sex is the cause.
Hope this answers both your queries.
Best regards

Follow-up: Swab test showed some infection. Prescribed zithromax. Chances of getting uti from oral sex? 2 minutes later

Hi Dr,

In your opinion, what are the likely causes of UTI for my boyfriend in this instance?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 minutes later
Usually there is no specific cause. Organisms are usually from the colon which reach the urinary tract by ascending infection ( from the pee-hole to the bladder).
If repeated episodes occur, a search for abnormalities or block in the urinary tract is needed by doing uroflowmetry and ultrasound scan.
Treatment is directed towards the cause and the findings on the above tests.
Hope this helps,
Best regards

Follow-up: Swab test showed some infection. Prescribed zithromax. Chances of getting uti from oral sex? 5 minutes later

Hi Dr

Is the non specific infection found that caused the UTI?

Is it common for men who take swab tests to find non specific infection? Is it possible for me to have given him the infection?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
I have already answered.
UTI is bacterial and if repeated episodes occur, a cause needs to be found out as i mentioned earlier.
Swab tests are not necessary for UTI.
It is not transmitted by oral sex.