Ask a Urologist   »  

Surgical removal of diverticulum from urethra, had intercourse, open external wounds. Will the wound be closed or are stitches required?

I recently had a diverticulum surgically removed from my urethra. My stitches dissolved within 9 days, and my catheter was removed on the 8th day following my surgery. On the 12th day after surgery I engaged in intercourse knowing I was to abstain for 6 weeks. My incision is now open externally, but not internally. I urinate properly, and the stream is normal. I had bleeding immediately following intercourse, but no bleeding or signs of infection at this time other than inflammation, and minor swelling. I have begun an antibiotic at this time. My concern is, can the skin fuse back together on its own, or will restitching be necessary? Is there anything I can use on the incision sight to assist the healing process? Aquaphore or petroleum jelly? The incision is located immediately outside of my vagina, and is possibly one third open. The opening occurred approximately 32 hours ago. I have been unable to reach my doctor due to the holiday. Looking for any answer to ease my mind. Thanks. 27 year old female
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

What has occurred is medically called wound breakdown. You should get this gaping of incision site evaluated from your treating doctor. The main cause of gaping of the wound is trauma or infection. Gaping of the wound may in turn lead to wound breakdown.

Although less likely that the small gaping requires stitches, yet possibility of any infection which may complicate the matter and cause extending of gaping should also be kept in mind.

Keep the area clean by applying topical antiseptics and wear cotton clothes. Application of Neosporin cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. Also avoid masturbation and intercourse till it is completely repaired.

Also get it evaluated from your doctor as soon as possible so that the degree of gaping be assessed and decision whether it needs resuturing or not be taken.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up query.