Surgery done to remove grade 3 meningioma. Gliosis found on MRI. Degenerative condition?

My wife had two brain surgeries to remove a grade 3 meningioma on April 17 & 23, 2012. . Her last MRI, Feb. 14, 2013, revealed gliosis in the spot where the tumor was removed. Is gliosis a degenerative condition? and what kind of prognosis can we expect for this type of tumor. She is currently suffering from headache and nausea.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 50 minutes later

Post-operative gliosis is not a degenerative condition. Generally there will be some post-operative changes close to the operative site. This is reported in MRI as gliosis.

The overall prognosis of meningioma is good as compared to any other tumor.

Headache will improve in due course. She may take analgesics. A remote possibility of increased brain pressure (could be post operative- hydrocephalus) need exclusion if headache is very severe, persists for a while and if she starts to vomit. Post operative-hydrocephalus needs medical attention.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Surgery done to remove grade 3 meningioma. Gliosis found on MRI. Degenerative condition? 25 hours later
Thank you for the clarification on gliosis. The path report also state that there is subtle leptomeningial enhancement in the posterior fossa. It resembles leptomeningial carcinomatosis but appears stable. Lumbar puncture for cytology may be diagnostic. Can you help me understand this new development. Can this be the source of the headaches? This is her fourth MRI and has not been mentioned before.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 9 minutes later
Yes, leptomeningial carcinomatosis can cause headache.

A lumbar puncture with cytological analysis of the cells will clear the picture.

Best wishes