Surgery done for squamous cells on tongue. Swelling appeared and facing problem in eating. Relief?

Hi Doctor,

Like you have earlier advised me about my mother's health, just repeating for your reference, my mother was diagnosed with poorly differentiated squamous cells in her tongue in November last year. The XXXXXXX nodes were not affected. She underwent a surgery on her tongue and as advised by doctors, she went through 30 radiation sessions. All that is over. She is currently facing the same problem in eating. She has started getting taste but doesnt find eating easy. Recently her doctors examined her and commented that proper healing is happening. But lately she has developed a swelling in her cheek. Earlier it was small now its grown bigger and paining. Doctors had seen it and said that its after effect of radiation. Please advise what is it, and how to get it cured.

Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 2 days later

Thank you for asking my opinion again.

Now the surgery as well as the radiation treatment has been done. I wonder if it is the swelling or it is the induration (hardness of muscles). Mostly after the full dose of external radiation called the radical radiation, induration is a common feature in over treated patients. Also there is difficulty in chewing due to the inflammation and fibrosis of the temporo-mandibular joint. But these are late events of radiation treatment. In such cases, exercise of the joint should be done regularly by chewing a cork or rubber or even chewing gum so that the joint is having free movement.

If the difficulty in chewing is because of radiation reaction in which there is mucosal inflammation and ulceration in the mouth, it will heal slowly and you need to have luke-warm mouth washes and soft and nutritious foods to eat.

Your doctor must have already advised you regarding the type of food your mother should eat. Your mother should be well very soon.

I will be happy to answer your queries, if any, in this regard.

Dr. J. Ticku