Ask a Urologist   »  

Surgery done for severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra. Could it be during horseplay?

My boyfriend recently suffered a severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra. He had emergency surgery to repair. He claims this injury happened during horseplay with a buddy in which they were play fighting and that he was punched in the groin. I have done extensive research on the web and have found nothing to support his claims that this is even possible. Is it possible to get such a severe injury from play fighting? Or is the answer much mire obvious?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, it possible to get severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra from play fighting, provided the blow to the penis is sufficiently powerful enough.

Blunt trauma is the cause of a majority of penile fracture cases.

Though it most commonly occurs when the patient is in a state of sexual arousal and is struck on the penis in such a way that it bends abnormally so penile fractures usually happens during overly-rough intercourse. However, a sudden and powerful blow to the penis during playing, fighting or physical accident can cause a tear in the tunica albuginea and the urethra both.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly