Surgery done for oral cancer. What are the precaution to be taken?

Oncologist, Surgical
My bro-in-law has gone thru a oral cancer( verrucous cell carsinoma GBS both upper & lower, RMT AREA WH8ICH HAD EXTENDED TO THE PALATE ON THE RIGHT SIDE
surgery just a fortnight before
pls suggest wat precautions to be taken nw & wat is the prognosis
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 2 hours later

Verrucous carcinoma is a slow growing cancer. The treatment you have undergone appears appropriate.

Generally all these cancers are related to tobacco. Any form like smoking or pan chewing must be totally avoided (NO reduction is acceptable). This will reduce the chances but if the patient already had this habit for a few years, adequate damage has already been done. Make sure that tobacco is avoided and oral hygeine is maintained. Get checked with your doctor regularly. Consume a lot of fruits, fresh green leafy vegetables. Consult your doctor regarding anti-oxidants. He/she may prescribe you some.

Generally they are slow growing and surgery should suffice. But since they are tobacco related, there could be susceptibility to cancer of upper aerodigestive tract (mouth, tongue, palate, phayrnx, voice box, lungs) which could be a cause of concern for a new lesion to occur. But overall, verrucous cancers have good prognosis.

Hope this answers your query. let me know if you require further clarification.

Follow-up: Surgery done for oral cancer. What are the precaution to be taken? 1 hour later
sir, thanks for ur answer but I must tell u that at one point squamous cell is also found rest is Verrucous carcinoma so pls tell me wat is the prognosis
Also hw active he should remain
what should be the dos & donts
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 20 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Small focus of squamous cell carcinoma should be OK. Please look into the pathology report of nodal spread. If there are no nodal disease, outlook should be good.

He could remain active.

Please see the earlier answer for activities to avoid, like no smoking etc.

Hope I had been able to clear your doubts.