Surgery done for broken fibula. Noticed swelling and having pain. How to get relief from pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was wondering how much pain is normal after having a broken fibula. I had surgery with plates put in early January I had my cast off 3 weeks ago and I am currently wearing a moon boot. When I try to put my full weight on my leg I have a huge amount of pain in my ankle. I am due to go back to my doctor next week and I think he expects me to be walking around normally. My ankle is still swollen and when my leg is not elevated it turns very purple looking.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

Pain is normal after having fracture fibula. Amount of pain depends upon healing stag of fracture. As the fracture heals, amount of pain decreases. After broken fibula, it takes 8 to 10 weeks for healing to occur.
Now you need a check xray to see the healing stage. After xray and clinical findings, you are allowed for full weight bearing.
So I advice you till your next vist to your doctor , avoid full weight bearing.

I hope this will helpful to you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Dr Saurabh Gupta