Surgery done for a burst ectopic pregnancy. Now pregnant, painful lump appeared near incision site

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 8 weeks pregnant and have noticed a ridge like lump, just under the skin, approximatly one inch long, just below the pubic line.
It is quite tender and sensitive, and hurts to touch.
i had surgery for a burst ectopic pregnancy 6 months ago, where a 2 inch incision was required to perform the op.
The scar from this about 1 inch a bove the lump.
not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Any feedback wouldbe much appreciated.

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
It sounds like benign subcutaneous lesion and it can definitely be related to your previous surgery, but it can arise "de novo" as well. First explanation is that prevous scar is remodelating due to changes in your hormonal status. It means that while you are pregnant your whole body including skin goes through different kind of changes. So fibrous tissue under your scar can grow a bit.
Secondly, any kind of lipoma, fibroma, atheroma or swollen lymph node can be found in this area. No matter what it is it shouldnt concern you until you notice redness around it,pus secretion or enlarging. So just enjoy in your pregnancy, if this worries you it can be easily removed now or after birth.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Surgery done for a burst ectopic pregnancy. Now pregnant, painful lump appeared near incision site 9 hours later

Thank you - yes,that does help.

So, just confirming....removal or treatment of this is not required for health reasons, so i could leave it and never do anything about it? and it wouldn't matter to my health or the health of the baby?
It would only be if i wanted it removed to rule out discomfort etc that i should take further action.
Is that right?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 minutes later
Thats right XXXXXXX You can remove it cause of discomfort, estetics etc. but there is no reason to hurry and do it in pregnancy. This is lesion of abdominal wall(extraabdominal) so there is no contact between this and your baby. Only intraadbominal lesions can cause problems.
Wish you and your baby good health.