I am tappering off of a short term round of prednisone for sunburn. I accidently took an extra prednisone pill this evening instead of my antacid. Is this going to affect my ability to tapper off the medication? I am supposed to take two pills tomorrow and one the next day. Is it okay for me to take one pill tomorrow and one the next day? Otherwise I will run out. Age 30, weight 280. 20mg pills of prednisone starting with 4 pills on day one, 3 pills on day two, 2 pills on day three and one pill on day 4.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 20 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for posting your query

Prednisone is a corticosteroid and is used for many inflammatory conditions.

Though it is advisable to take this medication in a tapering form but since you had one extra dose accidentally it would not have any effect as such on the dose and you can continue to take one pill each for two days.

Do not take extra medication to make up the missed dose.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.