Sunburn below knee, swollen purple, hurts to touch, fever, chills. What could this be?

18 months ago my friend was in Florida. He got a major sunburn on his left leg below the knee. It swelled up was purple and it hurt so bad he couldn't touch it. He got a fever, the cold chills and was very sick for 5 or 6 days and it took 2 more weeks for him to feel normal. Now, He has the same symptoms after doing a sweat. He is very sick and the purple and swelling came back in the same place. He has a fever, cold chills...the same as before. What could this be and should he go see a doctor? He is reluctant to see doctors at all.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later

Very rarely the part of the skin involved in a sun burn or an allergic reaction leaves that part more prone to similar or related reactions.

The exact cause of the reaction this time has to be ascertained and this can be done be a detailed examination and evaluating the history of allergies.I suggest you to take him to a Dermatologist who can examine,arrive at a specific diagnosis and plan management so as to prevent recurrence.

Meanwhile to reduce the inflammation in the lesion and provide some relief he can take Tab Benadryl once in night for three days.Also do apply Calamine lotion over the affected part this will prevent its progression and soothens the skin.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.