Suggestions for gaining weight without using steroids. Am exercising without weight gain.

Hi I am Rajesh,

Age: 28
Height: 5.6 feet
Weight: 57 - 60 Kgs

I am doing physical exercise from last 12 years, I feel very strength in my body but I look very lean,
I want to put up some weight, can you please suggest me any storied with risk free.

Thanks & Regards,
K Rajesh Babu
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 3 hours later

Thank you for posting in the query

Let us calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index) = Weight in kilograms / Height in cms2

Your BMI at 5 feet 6 inches with 60 kgs comes to 19.4

BMI < 18.5 - underweight
BMI 18.5-24.9 - Normal
BMI > 25-29.9 - Overwieght
BMI > 30 - Obese

Hence your weight for height is very much normal.

My advise to you would be,

1. Continue with your physical exercise. Incorporate anaerobic exercises or weight training exercises in your routine.
2. Start having a high protein diet. This should include milk and milk products, eggs and lean meat like chicken, fish, nuts, etc. Avoid red meat.
3. Increase your water intake to 3 liters per day.
4. Get adequate amount of sleep so that the body is rested.

We should remember that it is important to be healthy. Our physical attributes are but a reflection of how we live.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Live a healthy life!