Suggest treatment to improve health condition after Astrocytoma surgery

Hi Doctor, My father was detected with Astrocytoma Grade 2 in 2002(right frontal lobe), and had surgery+ radiation. After that he returned to normal life, was able to do all tasks same as before surgery. In 2011 he was diagnosed with astrocytoma Grade 3, treatment took was Surgery+ radiation. But unlike the first time, after this surgery he had difficulty in walking, memory problem, speech problem etc.But he was recovering a little by little from all these and could walk slowly without support(weakness in left side) and memory, speech was okay. Now from Nov 2013 he was showing a gradual weakness in overall body condition (lost consious once, difficulty in walking or even waking up, ) In the 23rd week of DEC 2013 he lost his consious for a minute and then re gained it.But after that he was not able to walk or can say a sort of bed ridden condition(has consious).When checked with MRI, doctors said there is again a tumour and further surgery is not advisable. They said may be it has grown into grade 4 but not sure. He then was hospitalised, and there were some breathing problem and now he is in asort of coma state.While discharging (1st of XXXXXXX 2014 ) doctors marked his coma as 9.At that time he was at least responding if we call him by name, but couldnt speak back.But now he doesnt even look at us if we call him. Now his condition is: Opens the eye sometimes and look in some direction, no reponse, fully bed ridden, tube feed. Doctor can you help me.Can his condition be improved by any sort of treatment.??
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: palliative management is the option Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. You father has gone through 2 surgeries for removal of Astrocytoma followed by radiotherapy. Last time he was operated was for grade 3, which has very high recurrence rate. Again he was diagnosed with same on MRI. Doctors have avoided surgery because it may not be possible to remove, or condition of your father was poor. As he is becoming Low on Glasgow Coma scale, Radiations are also not advised. High Grade Astrocytoma have very poor prognosis and is very progressive resulting in various neurological deficit. I am sorry to say that there is no treatment available to improve his condition. Only palliative management can be done. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to improve health condition after Astrocytoma surgery 3 days later
Okay, thank you doctor for your answer. Can you suggest any medicine or anything that has to be taken care to avoid bed sore, as he is completely bed ridden now.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Regular dressing Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for the follow up. Bed sore is very common in bed ridden patients. Frequent change in position is advised to prevent the sores. If bed sore is present, regular dressing with Povidone ointment should be done and after that apply Ointment Megaheal or Hydroheal. If there is pus oozing out intravenous antibiotics will be required. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish all of you a good health.