Suggest treatment to get rid of white spots back of tonsils and discomfort in throat.Positive Streptococcus C

Hello, I went to the doctors about three months ago in September, for my throat feeling uncomfortable. I was tested for std's, streap, and a throat culture all were negative except the throat culture which was Positive for strep C. I was prescribe Penicillin for ten days three times a day. things did get better but I stopped taken it, thinking I was cured. But it came back. I took what was left but it did not help. So I went back to the doctors where I was then given More antibiotics, I followed taking those antibiotics, and now after a total of 4 months I still see some white spots in the back of my tonsils as well as the stinky things in the throat only a few though. No sore throat but just the need to clear my throat, I cough sometimes and in my spit or saliva is very small, either black or dark grey spots. I don't smoke at all nor am I around it. what could it be I may have? I have had head aches also. No fever or any other problems.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It could be a gastroesophageal reflux diseases Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the symptoms you have had in the past months. I hope together we identify the problem and propose a plan that takes care of this once and for all. From the symptoms you have provided, I am afraid you could have gastroesophageal reflux disease. In this condition, food particles alongside acid leaves the stomach and return to the mouth. The acid causes some irritation and the food particles often create the sensation of a foreign body in the throat. This leads to repeated efforts to clear the throat . Also, the irritation at times can lead to difficulties swallowing and provoke a chronic non productive cough with a throat inflammation that can mimic sore throat in sever cases. Management often consists in prescribing some medications to neutralise the acid and also lifestyle modifications including avoid late meals, avoiding lying flat shortly after meals, consuming to much chocolates/fats , caffeine etc. All the measures generally gets the condition controlled. I strongly think this is not really a strep infection any more if that were the case in the past. they rarely go this long. Also, what do you mean by strep C? this is not the common species found in throat infection? please check and make sure you got it right. In any case, the antibiotics should have cleared it off if it were the cause for real. My suggestion would be to consult with your doctor and try this option out. Lifestyle modifications with omeprazole for 2weeks. If symptoms should not improve, then we may want to do some more tests to dig deeper into the real cause of this. I hope you find this helpful. i wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. Please, feel free to ask for more information or clarification if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to get rid of white spots back of tonsils and discomfort in throat.Positive Streptococcus C 36 minutes later
the culture came back strep throat C... I see puss like spots on my tonsils and they are red... I cough some times like one or twice a day not often... The PI prescribe CEFDINIR 300 mg and i still see puss as well as tonsil stone that smell bed... at some point my neck was swollen to me on the right side and on my tonsils where the stone would come out stays open all the time and red. i do have reflux symptoms at all i know how that would as I've had that in the past when i was pregnant. I am very worried about what this could be... I also am aware of the rarity of having strep C but that came up in the culture. What are other symptoms that you feel it could be... I've had Std test done three time in the past 4 months all negative including HIV.... its not my throat per say its my tonsils really when i sallow it does not hurt at all..
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 48 hours later
Brief Answer: Please, consult an ENT specialist! Detailed Answer: Please, the findings you have reported and the culture results returning with Strep C which has not really responded to treatment are truly atypical and warrants some specialist attention. I will suggest that you get evaluated by an ENT specialist and if need be to consult with an infectiologist to get these symptoms looked into. I hope this helps. Please, keep me updated as you get this looked into. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD