Suggest treatment for tonsillitis

my son is 8 years old and has type 1 diabetes. He has had a headache for a day or so and wakes with a sore throat. Tonight throat hurts and tonsils swollen with what looks like craters...I've never seen this before....
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: follicular tonsillitis?gargle, NSAIDs,antibiotics. Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. Considering the age and symptoms, your son is probably suffering from tonsillitis, as tonsillitis is more common in the childhood days. The findings you are referring also supports the diagnosis for follicular tonsillitis. For my patients presenting with the above features usually I start with salt water gargle and steam inhalation 3-4 times a day along with symptomatic treatment like NSAID which will take care of inflammation, headache and also his discomfort. Along with the above measures, based on the examination I will also start antibiotics like amoxicillin which will take care of common bacterias that are responsible for tonsillitis or upper respiratory tract infection. These measures will help him. Also continue basal and short acting Insulin as usual based on his sugar levels. Consult your doctor once for examination and further management as explained. I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any further queries and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you and your son good health. Regards