Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i banged my left knee on the counter trying to climb on it. I hit on the left edge of my knee cap. now when i bend down (squat) and then try to get up the pain is pretty awful. its isnt swollen or bruised? I am not one to go to a doc if i dont have to can this be a bruise inside?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Soft tissue injury Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since there is pain only on bending the knee with no pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely in this case. The mild discomfort and the internal pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a mild soft tissue injury in the area. You can help the improvement by- 1. Avoid any strenuous knee exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, etc. 2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly. 3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily. 4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also. 5. Use an elastic knee brace for better knee support while walking. Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury 5 minutes later
i actually do have pain when bearing down to stand back up or putting my foot on the bottom of a desk chair and aplying pressure. my knee has a pressure feeling not pain when slightly bending it and my calf feels tight?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usual symptoms of a soft tissue injury. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. There is no acute pain only a mild discomfort is there. It is suggestive of a soft tissue injury only. Do follow the above said measures for a week and see if these help. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards