Suggest treatment for skin infection

I have three small groups of what I think are insect bites on my abdomen. It has been two weeks and they still itch horribly. I have tried benadryl cream and an antibiotic I had a refill for, Keflex...
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Appropriate antibiotics, anti inflammatory drugs, Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, From the images ad clinical scenario, it is but obvious that there is a probable bacterial infection already involved. Skin infections are generally caused but common bacteria like Staphylococci and Streptococci families. It is imperative to act actively and accurately against such infections. It is possible that if untreated, the infection could spread and rapidly affect other regions of the body. Treatment is supposed to be three fold. first, hygienic measures with regular hygiene, washing with clean water. Use of topical Antiseptics could help. Use of anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, any pain and fever could be useful. Thirdly and most important, appropriate antibiotherapy. using an effective antibiotic to avoid resistance could be helpful. Flucloxacilline is an adapted and very effective antibiotic against most of the germs causing skin infections. Taking this drug in appropriate doses at least 2 to 3 grams a day for at least 7 to 10 days could be sufficient. Appropriate monitoring by you and your treating physician is compelling. I suggest you consult your primary care doctor for reevaluation and treatment urgently. Spreading of such infections could be very dramatic and life threatening. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need. I would be most grateful making my contributions and bringing in any clarifications. Kind regards. DR Bain