Suggest treatment for sinus along with severe cold and headaches

Hello, My brother has got sinus problen since last 2 years. he gets severe cold and one sided headache.can you please suggest me te course of treatment?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Visit an ENT specialist... Detailed Answer: Hi, I see your brother suffers from chronic recurring sinusitis. Acute conditions can be handled with steam inhalation, nasal decongestants +/- antibiotics. However chronic conditions might need a lifestyle change, adequate preventive measures during seasonal change and may be even surgery. I recommend my patients to consult an ENT surgeon who after X-ray/CT scan can assess the severity of problem and guide him with appropriate management. Chronic recurring condition are preventable. Consider ENT surgeon to verify if surgical remedy is a feasible option. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sinus along with severe cold and headaches 34 hours later
Thank you for your quick reply. My brother consulted a doctor in dubai after getting the X rays. the doctor told there is no major problem and the surgery not required. Now he will not get headache after treatment but he gets severe cold every now and then. it creates lots of problem at work place and it will bw there for one week and it gets cured itself. Can you please suggest me the further course of treatment???
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Life style change... Detailed Answer: Hi, As I said earlier, chronic condition need life style adaptation. There is real need to identify what is causing the acute flare ups. The cause may be related to allergies, seasonal weather changes, co-existing nasal conditions or recurring infections secondary to poor general condition. Without clinical examination and detailed evaluation it would be extremely hard to confirm the cause. You are requested to discuss with a competent ENT surgeon and identify the causes. He will need to consult the doctor again. As you plan his visit doctor, some general recommendations that could help include: 1. Avoiding exposure to dust and pollens - using face mask while travelling; regularly cleaning bed spread, pillow cover, curtains and other indoor products. 2. Encourage him to use saline nasal spray such as nasomist spray whenever he develops recurring sneezing. 3. Encourage him to take colourful fruits and vegetables (all) 4. Antihistamines and nasal decongestants when symptoms become severe. 5. Explore alternative holistic therapy (ayurveda/homeopathy/natural medicine) to treat for allergies Treatment is going to be slow and gradual. So during acute episode continue the current treatment for sinusitis. Hope this helps. Regards