Suggest treatment for severe sore throat

Question
I started with a sore throat on the left side Saturday morning, sinus mucus then started, by Monday evening I started 10mg of Zertec and by Wednesday morning I had mucus in my chest. The color was initially a dark green but, it is now pale yellow/tan colored. I have not had any fever. I have also been taking Naproxen (2- 220mg) with the Zertec. I have produced more mucus this morning and wanted to know if I should begin something like Mucinex for the chest congestion now.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, can be used

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, you should begin the mucinex.

There are different types of mucinex but most contain guaifenesin which reduces the viscosity (thickness) of secretions (mucus) in the chest so that it can be expelled easier.
Increasing your fluid intake would also help with the secretion thickness.

There are other mucolytics as well (medications that help with getting rid of mucus)- mucomyst, bisolvan

If there are any nasal symptoms or congestion of the sinuses, then you should also use a decongestant eg zyrtec d, allegra d, claritine d or benadryl d

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions