Suggest treatment for reoccuring UTI

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi my problem is reoccuring UTI. I am a 56 year old female , married, with a normal sex life of 30 years. I am fit and slender eat very well take probiotics
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Infection or structural abnormalities of tract Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Urinary tract infection (UTI) is more common in females than males because of short urethra. Due to short urethra, the bacteria get an easy assess and cause infection. Recurrent UTI can be due to persistence of the infectious agent or infection by resistant strain in the tract. First of all you need to get urine examination done to confirm the presence of infection and to get drug sensitivity for selecting most appropriate antibiotic, Even if the infection still recurs you need to get an examination of the urinary tract. Any structural abnormality of the renal pelvis, ureters can also cause repeated infection. You need to consult to an urologist for the above mentioned investigations. If you have any queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for reoccuring UTI 30 hours later
Is it common to continue to feel on occasional burning sensation while voiding your bladder? I have been on my DS bactrim now for a second long course of 10 day and I already have done 7 days of this second therapy.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Burning while urinating suggests infection Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, It is not normal to experience burning sensation while urinating. Burning sensation suggests that you are still suffering from infection of the urinary tract despite antibiotics. The antibiotic is not effective against the bacteria causing the UTI. You need to get a urine culture along with drug sensitivity to select the most appropriate antibiotic. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal