Suggest treatment for prostate cancer

what treamtent is available for XXXXXXX 6 prostate cancer, after a biochemical failure has been detected 33 months after Rp and radiotherapy.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. First, we need to check whether the disease has spread anywhere else. This can be done by a CT scan of abdomen, chest radiograph and a bone scan. If something is visible, we should give some treatment, usually with androgen deprivation (by bilateral testes removal or injections every 3 months). If nothing is evident on these scans, then also we can give androgen deprivation therapy but observation is also an option. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for prostate cancer 20 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your reply, My urologist (a very good doctor has given me alife span of 10-25 years) if the scans are clear i would prefer observation, is this a good option. thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes, it is a good option Detailed Answer: It is generally recommended to defer ADT in patients at low risk of disease spread (eg, PSA doubling time >9 months; absolute PSA 20 ng/mL). Hope this helps, Regards