Suggest treatment for post nasal drip

My three month old baby wakes in the early hours and is clearly distressed by fluid at the back of her throat. Her nose is not congested. she is not affected during the day, but does dribble a lot. In bed, she keeps rubbing her face as if trying to get rid of something. She is growing as expected and is breast fed. Is this normal, and is there anything I can do to help her? We are both very tired!
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allergey to pollutants and allergens. Antihistamin Detailed Answer: Hello, I suspect it to be due to some sort of allergy. At the early months of life, all the children are exposed to various new environments and allergens as well as pollutants. As a response to these allergens, body produces the antibodies and this may cause itching, secretion and congestion in nose. To alleviate this itching and secretion in nose, your child rubs her face. Just give some antihistamines syrup like cetrizine. Thus this is nothing to worry about. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post nasal drip 17 minutes later
Hi As I said in my initial query, the baby's nose is not congested and she breathes/feeds easily. It sounds as though there is liquid at the back of her nose/in her throat that she cant clear and I am assuming this is why she wipes her face and becomes distressed. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Post nasal drip. add nasal drops or spray. Detailed Answer: Hello, The fluid in the back of her nose or throat is due to post nasal drip. When excess mucus produced in the nose runs down the back of the nose to the throat. She rubs and wipes her face because of the feeling of the liquid in her back of nose and throat is irritating and contains inflammatory substances. She may have nasal block. Please give saline nasal drops or spray in addition to cetrizine drops. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.