Suggest treatment for pancreatic cancer

My wife had a Whipple operation on the 19. of Februry, last year, 2013. She received chemo therapy of the types Fluorouracil and Calciumfolinat every second week in six months, till October, 2013. Before the end of Christmas, my wife got sick again. A tumor was discovered in the loop from the Pancreas, closing off the stomack fluids, so that she could eat, but her body weight still went down. A by-pass of this loop was performed on the 21. of January this year. The cancer tumor is still there. In otherwords, the surgeons have given up, and its all up to the oncologist. I want to know: 1. Was the original treatment what you would have recomended? 2. What kind of treatment would you recomend for my wife from now on? Very gratefull for an answere, I am yours XXXX
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. I am sorry to know about your wife. Pancreatic cancer is a bad disease and most patients recur despite surgery and chemo. The chemotherapy was okay I feel. Now that it has recurred in such fashion, we can again try chemotherapy but it only for short term control. the combination of gemcitabine and abraxane gives the best results. you can discuss this with your oncologist. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.