Suggest treatment for pain in ankle after a ankle surgery

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
A little over a year ago I broke my ankle and had to have surgery, they put in a plate and 4 screws. I have been doing good until the last month with it hurting at night. My Dr. Has me on Tramadol but it is not helping anymore and he won't give me anything stronger. I haven't been able to sleep at night and my ankle is starting to get stiffer and it hurts when I get up in the morning and I was wondering what I have to do to get a stronger medicine. Do I need to go to another Dr.?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: There can be infection around surgical site. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history there can be infection around surgical site or near implant. You need to confirm infection by x ray and clinical examination. MRI scan can be done if clinically required. If IV antibiotic are not working then debridement and re-suturing of wound should be done. Till time take rest, follow limb elevation instructions. You may need to consult doctor who will give unbiased opinion. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in ankle after a ankle surgery 17 minutes later
Do you think that I maybe getting arthritis in my ankle and it hurts more when it is cold or the air is damp

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: X ray and MRI will help us to diagnose arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hello again Post operative arthritis is common condition. X ray and MRI will help us to diagnose arthritis and infection. Arthritic pain is increased on weight bearing and movement.Morning stiffness is also common in arthritis. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.