Suggest treatment for pain due to an retracted ear drum?

Do you put hot or cold to relieve the pain for an retracted ear drum. I have it in both ears. Doctor gave me prescription for nasal spray, antibiotic and something else to make my nose and head drain. But nothing for the pain. Will a heating pad help or ice in a towel? Thanks XXXXXXX email address YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ibuprofen / Tylenol is safe over the counter drug Detailed Answer: Hi, Hot or cold either of it should give you temporary relief in the pain. In addition you can slowly blow the air from the mouth while pinching the nose, do not blow hard. Else I suggest to simply take 400mg of Ibuprofen (Motrin) twice a day or Tylenol DS thrice a day. Let me know if you need further suggestions