Suggest treatment for pain and discomfort due to internal anal wart

General Surgeon
My brother is going through a surgery soon to remove polyps and an internal anal wart. He has HIV and he is 29 years old. My mother and I would like to know that since he is having it done by a Gastroenterologist, shouldn't this surgery be done by a colon rectal surgeon? My Mother and I are worried. My brother told us that if the Gastroenterologist cant remove the wart, then he would have to come back a 2nd time and have it removed by a surgeon. His private physician questioned why his Gastroenterologist did not have a surgeon already on call the first time he tries to remove the wart. Also he could be in pain and discomfort afterward, is there anything you can recommend him to take or use to help with any pain and discomfort.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Analgesic and Hot Seitz bath can manage pain Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Sir, I do understand your concern about your brother and also apprehension of your brother going through pain or 2nd procedure. The success of whether the polyps can be successfully be removed depends on the location of polyps, usually the polyps are located in the Rectum which is 6 to 10 cm from the anal opening. Even if they are higher or deep inside it can be accessible by Endoscopy. Majority of even Medical Gastroenterlogist are well versed with Endoscopy and the polyp and warts can be removed by Endoscope inserted through the anus. Its least painful and minimal invasive using the natural orifice the body without any incision being made over the abdomen. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. The Gastroenterlogist will definitely take care of the pain, both pre-operatively and postoperatively. Majority of the anal procedure are painful, analgesics like Tramadol given adequately before and after the procedure can take care of the pain. Also i routinely recommended Hot Seitz bath after the procedure. To a tub of lukewarm water add handful of common table salt, patient can be made to sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes each session twice a day. The warmth of the water will decrease the pain and inflammation and will be effective and synergistic in conjunction with analgesics. I would also suggest you to discuss the location and number of polyps with the Gastroenterlogist, also discuss the protocol of pain management with him. Its very much reassuring and also builds confidence openly speaking to the Physician in-charge. I hope it helped. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy life. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon