Suggest treatment for mitral valvular calcification of the thoracic aorta ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
A recent CT scan "profound diffuse vascular calcification of the aorta and its branches with the ascending aorta measuring 3.1 cm, the posterior descending aorta measuring 2.7 cm." It also showed mitral valvular calcification. My family doctor walked me through the report and plans to recheck in two months (my father and one of his sisters had an aorta anuerysm that was successfully operated on over 20 years ago). I had an What should be my next step in resolving these problems?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggestive of atherosclerotic risk factors Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Calcification of the thoracic aorta is associated with atherosclerotic risk factors. It is associated with hypertension and an increased prevalence of myocardial infarction. Calcification of the thoracic aorta is associated with coronary calcification and valvular calcification, reflecting an underlying atherosclerotic process. You need to have regular monitoring of your blood cholesterol levels and keep the blood pressure under control. Making changes in your lifestyle is a proven method for reducing your risk of heart disease. Losing some extra weight will decrease your risk considerably- both dietary restrictions and regular exercise schedule will be helpful. Eat a heart-healthy diet low in salt, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, and refined sugars. Try to increase your intake of foods rich in vitamins and other nutrients, especially antioxidants, which have been proven to lower your risk for heart disease. Also eat plant-based foods such as fruits and vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. You might consult with your cardiologist for a complete evaluation of your cardiac status, and further interventions as needed. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL