Suggest treatment for joint pain and stiffness

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm almost 73 year female. Both shoulders need complete replacement (torn labrums, cuffs, arthritis inside and outside the joints)...... now having difficulty with knees. Biggest problem is arising from a seated position -- such as booth, chair, commode, etc. I cannot use any leverage with arms due to shoulder pain and am wondering if you have any suggestions? Perhaps thigh strengthening????
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Degenerative changes in knee joints. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relieves. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days. You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist. A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees. Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief. In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for joint pain and stiffness 2 hours later
I'm taking 500 mg Naproxen once daily. 40 mg Nadolol and Dexilant 90 mg....... What do you suggest I add to that -- or do you think Naproxen is as effective as Tylenol????
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Naproxen is more effective. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Naproxen is more effective than Tylenol. You can add joint lubricant supplements and calcium supplements after consulting your orthopedician. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards