Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
i have been a patient of constipation predominant IBS from about a year, right now i am taking aurvedic medicine , i have much more relief from previus medications, two month ago i have joined gym and started working out , since than the main problem which i am facing is irregular bowl movements I am having min 4 to 5 bowl movements a day which is not very pleasant during working hours , in the night i am fine. i am going gym into the morning if has something to do with it. i would really appreciate if you can help me, from last few days i have been taking metrogyl 400 but it's not helping me.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. You need few investigations like routine hemogram,LFT,Stool test(routine and culture),ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. Irritable bowel syndrome is disease associated with large intestine and exact etiology is not known. There is no specific treatment of this disease. It can be controlled by altering diet pattern,psychological therapy and medicines. You should take plenty of fibres in your diet in the form of salad etc. If you have lactose intolerance you should restrict it. Laxative and antispasmodic can be used. Low dose tricyclic antidepressants are also useful. You should do regular exercise and try to reduce stress in your life. You can also take tablet loperamide SOS. You should avoid cold drinks and high gas forming vegetables like cabbage and cauliflower. You may need psychological counselling if needed. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome 38 minutes later
thanks Dr XXXXXXX how many meals should i take daily as i am already doing exercise and taking anti stress medication , is there anything which i can add in my daily food / diet which will help me to prevent diarrhea. thanks XXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Tablet loperamide is very helpful in diarrhea. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You can take regular meal.There is no restriction. If you have intolerance to milk then you can take other products like curd. Tablet loperamide is very helpful in diarrhea. You should continue anti stress medicine. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX