Suggest treatment for infected crush injury of hand

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Kindly read my medical history & suggest me how to have an improvement on my injured hand.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infection needs to be controlled first. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. An infected crush injury of the hand with multiple surgeries over last more than 13 years is very difficult to recover completely. If there is a persistent infection in the area for last so many years then it needs a swab culture of the wound to find out the antibiotics best suitable for you. Since you are not able to move any of your fingers or the wrist it is likely to be a multiple nerve and tendon injury. You need to consult a neurologist and a competent physiotherapist who with regular passive exercises can help in maintaining the tone of the muscles. A nerve injury and tendon injury that happened more than 13 years ago is not likely to heal spontaneously without the help of the grafts and surgical repairs. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL