Suggest treatment for idiopathic peripheral neuropathy

i have been bothered by a form of idiopathic peripheral neuropathy--no pain--just very very annoying sensations--sometimes it remits for months or years at a time--but when it is present it is very very annoying--any thoughts? this
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get treated with each recurrence Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis of idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. This is often so annoying because there is really no definitive treatment and recurrence often inevitable when no clear cause is identified. I am comforted to know you at least go for years at times before getting remissions because some of my patients have to battle with it daily all their lives. The best way to address this problem is to get it treated very well each time it happens. The best treatment is a combination of an anti epileptic and an antidepressant. Because you have had this before and for sure have tried different treatment options, I will advise you to stick to what at least worked the last time. If you would like to try what i typically use for my patients, please let me know. In addition to drugs, frequent exercises, no tobacco, no alcohol, massage, balanced diet and avoid prolonged pressure like crossing the legs. Also, ask for the various resources present in the society that can help you get through relapses. There should be support groups to help you through this. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.