Suggest treatment for herniated disc

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My wife just had back surgery to remove a disk that was impact ing spine . The disk was calcified and the surgeon could not remove do to surrounding scar tissue. He removed bone instead. I was wondering if there is a new procedure that might work. I have heard of vats procedure. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: You had heard correctly. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. You had heard correctly. Video Assisted Thoracoscopy Surgery (VATS) is a new way to perform thoracic surgery in which the doctor can see and treat the herniated disc using a small TV camera that is passed through chest cavity. This can be beneficial for removing disc in your wife case. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care