Suggest treatment for headache

Question
I have an ongoing headache. Aspirin does not help. What can I do?
Posted Mon, 30 Jun 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Thanks for the query,

Detailed Answer:

First of let me let you that there are many causes of headache like migraine, tension headache, brain infection tumor and so on. Further the duration of headache and type of headache (episodic vs daily) etc will help us narrow down the differential diagnosis.

please let me know

1. the duration of headache and the type of headache
2. if you have any vomiting and any other associated problem

please get back

i will be happy to help you

best wishes,
Dr Dash

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for headache 14 hours later
My headaches are just chronic.....no vomiting.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry if it is chronic

Detailed Answer:

If it a chronic headache, the possibilities of migraine headache and tension type of headache. Medications that help in these type of headache are amitryptiline, propranolol, topiramate etc. These medications generally should be taken for 3-6 months. Medications that can be used in acute severe attack are Ibuprofen, naproxen etc. In addition, you need life style changes (avoid stress, sleep 6-8hrs/night, avoid coffee, chocolate, smoking, alcohol etc) which will bring down the headache cycle.

I suggest you to meet a local neurologist who will evaluate you clinically and decide if you need a brain scan to rule out any secondary causes of headache. If the scans are normal, he would suggest you medications, the way I have discussed above.

Please get back if you need any clarification

best wishes