Suggest treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease

Recently, my husband will start coughing immediately after eating a meal, then vomit back up a mucus looking substance. He is alright after this but says he feels sick sometimes immediately after eating. He doesn't suffer from heartburn but I have noticed that at times in the middle of the night he burps once or twice in his sleep. At times he is forever clearing this throat and can't rid of what's there even when he coughs and is especially worse in the mornings. I have also noticed at times he has a hoarser voice in the mornings. Could this be reflux or the accumulation of mucus that is making him sick? I have asked him to refrain from dairy but he is addicted to drinking two 2 x 600ml iced coffee every day.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This may indeed be reflux Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX I think you are very observant. This may indeed be a gastroesophageal reflux disease. Every symptom you said could be due to GERD I would suggest you get an endoscopy by a good gastroenterologist to confirm the diagnosis Alternatively you could try medicines of proton pump inhibitors to see if it gives relief. Please feel free to ask further queries Dr Saumya Mittal