Suggest treatment for gastroenteritis

My 2 year old had 1 episode of loose motion day before yesterday and 1 episode of vomiting yesterday. He vomited while having his food and threw up everything he ate. In last 2 days other than 1 episode of loose motions other couple of motions were not loose but indicated indigestion (could see food particles). He had temperature (arm pit) of 98.8 deg F last evening which seems to be normal now. Doctor said he had stomach infection. He does not have a habit of keeping things in mouth though. Does these infections spread? Doc has prescribed Ondem, Bacigyl N and Nutrolin B twice a day for 3,5 and 5 days respectively. I gave only 1 dose of ondem last evening before feed and started nutrolin B too (as prescribed). I am confused about Bacigyl N since it's an antibiotic and i am not sure if it's mandatory to administer. Things seem to be in control but my son has become little weak and activity level is also quite low. Can i feed him fruits like oranges and apple? Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Your child had an episode of gastroenteritis which is mostly viral in nature and settles in few days . Since he is active I do not suggest giving antibiotic. If there is no vomiting no need of ondem as well.continue with nutrolin b. Give plenty of fluids. Give lemonade,curd,rice porridge,banana. Repeated hand washing should be encouraged and NO to all junk food items. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help further. Wishing your child good health. God bless..
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for gastroenteritis 22 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your immediate response :) I wanted to ask specifically about giving fruits. What all fruits can i give him now? Is it okay to give oranges? Can i give coconut water? Also I mix vegetables in porridge, should it be avoided now? You have mentioned that it's not necessary to give antibiotic now since he is active however his activity level is very less (30% of normal). Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. In fruit banana can be given. Avoid orange for couple of days as it has fibre and increases chance of loose motion. Yes you can give coconut water. In vegetables bottlegaurd is preffered. Avoid leafy vegetables. Give khichdi of dal rice. Maintain hydration. Dont worry he will be active in a day or two. Hope this helps. Take care...
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for gastroenteritis 34 hours later
Hi Doctor, Thanks again for your reply. My son did not have any loose motion/ vomiting after Monday. yesterday he had passed motion (not loose but indicated indigestion) but today he did not pass motion. He has caught cough as well. My concern is that he is still not active (it has not improved at fact last evening he was better than today whole day) and is getting tired very easily. Tonight while sleeping he indicated pain in his feet and hands (mostly toes and fingers region) too. Do you suggest any multivitamin? can i start giving him dairy? Should I be concerned about his activity level since it's been 3 days now? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Yes,you can introduce milk,curd. Give steam inhalation for relief of cough. Watch for anothet 24hours and im case he remains inactive get him examined ny pediatrician as physical examination will be needed Hope this helps. Take care..