Suggest treatment for fungal infection on feet

Hello, I have an itchy red skin rash on my feet. I think it is an allergy as the reaction came within hours of a pedicure when I had spacers to keep my toes apart and was put under light/fan to assist with drying/hardening polish. The reaction took the form of raised red bumps close together. I went to the pharmacist and he gave me some steroid cream which I used for 7days as sparingly as I could. This kept the reaction kind of under control but caused it to spread and damaged the skin. The reaction is now two weeks old and red and itchy. What do you think it is and what treatment / action do you suggest please?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergic skin reaction,need pictures Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. From the description , it looks like you have developed an allergic reaction over your feet. But you have already been applying a topical steroid over the rash. I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesions . Please click some close up pictures of the skin condition and upload them here on this page . You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul . Also please tell which steroid cream have you been applying. What else have you used over the area. Is there associated pain or itching? I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the pictures and the above details . Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on feet 19 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX i hope you can see from the photos what is happening. The reaction is raised, bumpy, hard, red and itchy. I had used eumovate eczema and dermatitis cream for seven days up to a week ago but stopped when the rash seemed to spread from between my toes to over my toes and up my foot and damaged the skin. I had an operation on my left foot in July and the toes are still a bit swollen so the rash is an extra annoyance but not as bad and it hasnt spread to the same degree. I look forward to your response. Thank you. Louise
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection feet, stop topical steroid Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached pictures . You should immediately stop application of the steroid and dermatitis creams. You are actually having a fungal infection of the feet which is called tinea infection. Apply an antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day. Steroid creams seem to heal the infection but they actually just mask the signs of infection while the infection keeps increasing due to their use. So these creams have to be totally avoided in your case. Just apply an antifungal cream as told. Do not apply any other cream or oil over the area. Wear open footwear as much as possible . Sweating tends to increase the infection. You will have to apply the medicine for two to three weeks continously for complete recovery. In addition , you can take an antihistamine like claritin for itching. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on feet 28 hours later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Best of health Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. Wishing you speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul